Consider these points:
- OS can accommodate more than one communication signal at longer distances compared to OM.
- OS transmits thousands of communication signals over several miles. This extended distance enables protection through isolation. If lightning strikes one end, the charge does not transmit down the line.
- In the past, OM was the choice for shorter-reach applications like data centers or enterprise-level networks. For these applications, clients typically avoided OS because the necessary network connectors (modules found in the switches) were expensive. Today, prices are lower, making OS a viable consideration.
- OM1 and OM2 are not recommended for new installations, only Moves/Adds/Changes (MAC) to existing installations.
- Visit our Fiber Optic section for fiber specs, capabilities and more information to help your project.